ADMINSTRATION AND COIN MINTING
Emperor Maximilian reformed also
the mining administration,
at the latest in 1494 he put the mines in the 'Lower Austria provinces'
( Upper- and Lower Austria, Styria, Carinthia, Krain) in charge of a chief
At first he was settled in the Tyrol, however, from
1509 Obervellach became the seat of this chief mining official. The office
building of the chief mining official in Obervellach was built in first
half of the 16th century as a mine proprietor's house.
In 1533 it was acquired by Archduke Ferdinand from the mining court juror
Jörg Setzenstollen and expanded as seat of the chief mining official.
Several owners followed, until it became state
in 1854, among other things it served as a gendarmerie building, at last
as District Court Obervellach. At present it is offered for sale.
The premises would be ideally suitable for
a museum, where the subject of the mining administration couldn't find
better a place in the region of the Via Aurea.